Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have many scientific advancements and brand-new methods emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the opportunity to minimize or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless way to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can injure you.
4. Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. Find another one if your doctor will not inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what steps are taken dig this to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each client. Be careful of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for most individuals, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of countless individuals worldwide.